Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 18 – The Journey Home

Normally, I would have had no problem taking the train back out to the airport, but after the experience I had on the way in with the stoner boys, I just wanted to get to the airport without incident. The hotel shuttle picked us up at 7:30. We enjoyed one last French pastry while waiting in the hotel lobby. It turns out, the shuttle was a good idea, since Matt and I were departing from different terminals that were very far apart. We had been together non-stop for 18 days and were now separating for the flight home. I was sad and as I hugged Matt goodbye at his terminal stop, I promised him that we would not fly internationally separated again. I know he was sad too, but a First Class ticket/experience home was waiting for Matt. I, on the otherhand, had an 8 hour layover waiting for me in Toronto, but I had plans on escaping the YYZ airport and seeing my friend, Pat.

Upon landing in Toronto, I was not allowed to exit through customs to the outside world. All Americans with connecting flights were routed through an entirely different customs control station that dumped us out in the Gate area. No one would let me out. I got a variety of excuses, but the bottom line was that I was stuck in the airport for 8 hours. Unable to get cell service and the pay phones not accepting my credit card, I had Matt contact my friend Pat to relay the news of my predicament.

It was a very long 8 hour layover. I had momentary distractions when Matt would send me photos of his seat in First Class that reclined, or texting with my mom. 

I finally arrived in SF at midnight and Matt was waiting there to drive me home. He had arrived 5 hours earlier than my flight. Our adventure had officially come to an end. We were both home safe and sound. I always love living out of my backpack and coming home can make me feel rather melancholy. However, returning home this time was different...a new adventure was just around the corner...planning our wedding and knowing that I would soon marry my travel trooper, Matt. I feel very happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment